Raw chocolate is the ultimate soul food. Especially when it’s good for you! By now everybody knows (or should know) that chocolate has the potential to be super healthy. I’m not talking about those sugared up bars, I’m talking about the healthy versions. Just check out my Raw Chocolate Chunks. They’re crazy delicious and easy to make at home – 15 mins preparation and no oven needed!
What is raw chocolate?
Raw chocolate is simply put the unprocessed form of chocolate. Even with normal chocolate bars, you know that the darker the chocolate, the ‘healthier’ it is for you. White chocolate shouldn’t be called chocolate at all, as it contains no cacao. It’s just butter and sugar.
But, even dark chocolate (72% or even 86%) is so processed that it loses a lot of its nutrient qualities.
Fortunately, we can turn to raw chocolate. It has so many important minerals and vitamins, you would be crazy not to eat it!
Raw chocolate contains important minerals and vitamins such as:
- Magnesium, and other essential minerals including calcium, sulfur, zinc, iron, copper, potassium, and manganese
- Polyphenols called flavonoids, with antioxidant properties
- Vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B5, B9, E
- Essential heart-healthy fat: oleic acid a monounsaturated fat
So, are you ready to dive into the kitchen? Here we go!
What you need
- 1 cup of coconut oil/butter
- 1/2 cup of raw cacao
- 4 teaspoons honey (or agave syrup, or any other substitute to your liking)
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- optional: 1 vanilla bean
- a baking tray lined with baking paper
- a bowl
- Cut up the apricots into little pieces
- Crush the walnuts
- Heat up the coconut butter if necessary (unless it’s 25 degrees Celsius inside, the coconut oil solidifies into butter)
- Pour the coconut oil in the bowl
- Add the raw cacao and the cinnamon, stir well
- Add the walnuts, the raisins, and the apricots
- Add the honey and mix well
- Pour mixture into a baking tray, make sure it’s lined with baking paper
- Put it in the fridge for 30 minutes, or in the freezer for 20.
Order your organic raw cacao here: